Saturday, January 26, 2008

Greeting ducks at the cemetery

My nephew is looking for a job. He was a waiter at a tourist restaurant but was fired for being rude. Rudeness in a waiter isn't good. You don't get many tips that way, but you do get axed and booted out the back door. I was thinking about him as I explored the Sites for Students. He has a computer at home and access to the Internet. With just that he can use any of a number of sites to search for a job or rewrite his resume.
I'm already thinking about what my next job might be. Jobster was just full of ideas. I've often thought I want to become either a cemetery caretaker or a clown. There are 43 clown positions open today and there is an opening for a cemetery caretaker in San Francisco. The jobs were easy to search. I found 137 jobs for lazy people, 4336 jobs involved hiking, 96 jobs involved ducks and over 25,000 involved books in some obscure or vague manner. And there are 1132 organization looking for greeters. I could be a greeter. I can smile and say hello. I can point and nod. I can stand for short periods of time, too.
All the tools I need to write my next resume are included in these sites for students. Z0ho has a word processor for me to use. I can even create a presentation if I want. I could take pictures of myself dressed as a clown. What I'm hoping is that I can combine the cemetery care taking job with the clown occupation.
Sometimes I think my mind is stuck in a buggy whip shop while the rest of me exists in the virtual world. As I explored the Digication site I was astounded at what people are willing to share. Modesty is a forgotten element in this new world. People share thoughts, histories, hopes, philosophises, failures and take pictures of all of it. In this world, sharing everything is good whether it is a picture of your generous behind or a closeup of your nostrils - it doesn't matter. All is art. All is public. All is shared. All is educational.

I explored many of the sites and found that some are simply fabulous - a goldmine for any student who has access to a computer and needs to create a document for a class, job or just collaborate on an idea. The speed at which ideas can be shared, learned and spread is phenomenal. There is too much there to know. It is like a metastasizing cancer cell. Poof it is everywhere.

1 comment:

Accumulate Man said...

Somedays I feel like a clown serving ducks at the reference desk, but it's only because my superhero costume is in the cleaners! Whew on modesty! I am sometimes shocked and generally amused by what my fellow cybernauts are willing to share about themselves out there on the net. I know I dump a load of personal information on my blog, but it is relatively tame and opaque in comparison to most..gosh, I have to wonder what those college kids are thinking posting their Spring Break photos! Accumulate Man